It's been a while...

21/09/2009

Of course, that's not to say that I didn't eat in the past few months. Those of you who have seen me/know me in real life would confirm that this statement is true. For, dear reader, the past months have been a bounty for me.

I have spent hours, nay days in the warm sun of a Belgian summer, forsaking the lure of London (and its swine flu) for greener pastures and sandy beaches. I have eaten freshly-caught fried fish, excellent salads, delicious courgette flowers, succulent peaches and extravagant desserts. In short, I did not waste away. This was also the first year that we used our garden space to our advantage, growing figs, lemons and tomatoes and garden herbs. The tomatoes, it must be explained, were our munchkin's idea. On our forays in Florence, she ventured into a beautiful flower store near Piazza della Signoria, lured undoubtedly by the divine perfume of the gorgeous flowers in it, and then pitter-pattered over to the wall full of beautifully packaged seeds. Cherry tomatoes and courgettes, she chose, and I dismissed the packets as an illusion by its nature sweet after we returned to the homestead.

But, no, my SO and the munchkin decided to flex their green fingers and sowed them. The harvest (which is still ongoing) yielded a bumper crop of tomatoes and many a delicious pasta was concocted with them. After all, in this house, oil, onion, garlic, tomatoes, basil and black olives are enough to satisfy the hungry horde.

So below, I leave you with a photo of some home-grown freshly picked tomatoes and basil and the promise of a next post on the retro girl that I am. But first, I must venture out and enjoy the Indian summer.

Enjoy.

5 messages:

Vic said...

There's something about home grown cherry tomatoes...

Vikki said...

Beautiful pic! We have started turning all of our tomatoes and basil into pasta sauce to be frozen for the winter. Sometime in January, I'll have pasta and it will taste just like summer.

Milo said...

Mmm looks delicious! Love home made pasta sauce but make it so rarely, unfortunately.

feromoon said...

You know what? i'm gonna cooka me a pasta di Mama. Wit garden tomatoes. Love yopur typing and enjoy the wonderful Septemberday, darraling Lula.

Misgrace said...

See, that is why I like you all so much - you all love pasta. Pasta lovers can do no wrong in my book.

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino