Beethoven Symphony No. 3 Eroica -- Philippe Herreweghe

15/12/2008

On Saturday we attended a concert by the Royal Flemish Philharmonic conducted by Philippe Herreweghe.

Growing up with a Beethoven fanatic, I was immensely looking forward to their rendition of the 'Eroica'. It was a refreshing experience, as you will see/read/hear below.

This is the version I grew up with: Herbert Von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. Go to 5:45 approx. to listen to the Scherzo.



In contrast, I would like to share this version, conductor Paavo Jarvi, Deutsche KammerPhilhamonie Bremen, which resembles more closely what I heard on Saturday.



The difference between both interpretations is vast. The loaded Beethoven sound of von Karajan in contrast with the bushy-tailed energy of Jarvi's interpretation.

I would venture that Herreweghe's version (of which I could not find any info on the Internet) manages to combine the best of both: elegant, majestic, but light and genius. There is more differentiation in Herreweghe's Eroica, I feel.

An interesting, bright-eyed walk down memory lane for me.

0 messages:

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino