Diamond Divas!

24/04/2008

I've been completely fascinated by the poster for the exhibition "Diamond Divas" at Antwerp's Diamond Museum, which has been plastered all over Antwerp since a few weeks.



The fabulous eyes and lips of the grande dame of Sunset Boulevard, Gloria Swanson herself, have been chosen as the embodiment of the quintessential Diamond Diva. A better close-up, don't you think. Personally, I never knew that she was so fortunate to own so many diamonds. But, considering that she was the mistress of Joe Kennedy, I assume that he must have showered her with some gifts.

I was aware, however, of Marlene Dietrich's fabulous diamond cuffs and the beautiful ruby bracelet, which she wore in Stagefright... All were used for a settlement for unpaid taxes with the IRS...

Other divas include Daisy Fellowes, the Duchess of Windsor, the violet-eyed Elisabeth Taylor, the girl who famously sang that 'a kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl's best friend'.

The exhibition is on my list of things to do next week! Not that I'm vying for my own rock... I'm a silver girl, no rocks required.

1 messages:

Fresco said...

Oh how I love GS in Sunset Boulevard!

PS: I’d like to go to ‘FaceOn’ too at Fotomuseum Antwerpen with pictures from the Getty Images archives.

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino