Maurice Béjart 1927 - 2007

22/11/2007



I was too young for Béjart's Sacre du Printemps, but I remember his 'Bolero' with the charismatic Jorge Donn. I should add that I am grateful for his contribution to modern dance: his Mudra school, established in Brussels, brought forth such choreographic luminaries as Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker., whose work I love and to a certain extent led me to dance (13 years of it). I think that Béjart contributed to making modern (and classic) dance a more accessible art for the general public. The rawer, more physical and even sensual style, as is evident from this clip, appealed to people, who did not always understand the magic of classical dance.
He recently completed his swansong, Tour du Monde en 80 minutes, which his company will be taking on tour.

0 messages:

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino