Benazir Bhutto

27/12/2007


Here's a photo of Benazir Bhutto during her visit to Brussels in 2000.
Today Mrs Bhutto lies dead in a hospital morgue after some militant decided to shoot her and then blow himself up.
First, let me say that I cannot understand suicide bombers' motives. The idea of unlimited sex with 72 virgins in heaven? As usual, not very woman-friendly, in the sense that 72 poor virgins are to be ravished by an exultant man, as he opens the gates to heaven... And I have to wonder, how someone who murders, is given the right to heaven's door? But that's just my old infidel self speaking up.

I'm not too familiar with Bhutto's politics, but I admired the fact that she was the first woman PM of a muslim state after a life of hardship (including five years under house arrest and the hanging of her father).

When I read that the UN Security Council 'unanimously condemned' the attack on Bhutto, I found myself wondering, like my SO, what the world has come to. Pakistan is in complete disarray, and the world, as usual, just stands there and looks on. No reaction. Dictatorship thrives. Oh well.

3 messages:

Anonymous said...

Really tragic news. She must have known she was putting herself in a seriously precarious position but she did it anyway as she wanted to change that country for the best.

Misgrace said...

I know. In a sense, you have to admire her bravery. She could have just stayed at home with her family in Dubai, but chose instead to go home, knowing that sooner or later her time would come. I wonder how it feels, when it happens. Do statesmen and politicians say to themselves in that final moment: damn, they got me after all, or is there a feeling of relief, that they no longer have to look over their shoulder in fear?
It must be strange to lead such a life.

Anonymous said...

I think if you've been a hate figure (like any politician) then that feeling will never go away. You will always need to be looking over your shoulder. Also, even if you weren't a hate figure, you're of the establishment by then, often by association. Like Louis Mountbatten who was assassinated by the IRA.

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino