So Eighties!

09/12/2007



Sig's post on 80s music reminded me of TV series that defined the 80s for me (well, this, Dynasty, Charlie's Angels and Wonder Woman, I see a pattern here).

Dallas, a show essentially built around the character of J.R., was a hoot! I spent many an evening as an impressionable pre-teen watching this show. Funny how people were fuzzier about what children could watch on TV in those days.

What all these shows have in common, was the slick glossiness of the women's characters. The Farrah flick, Wonder Woman's bright red lipstick (to match her mini corset and hotpants) and Alexis' shoulder pads (oh, and the desk with the elephant tusks for legs).

Such glamour, such drama. What a contrast with the grungy Nineties. I lapped it up, of course.

4 messages:

Anonymous said...

As a child I remember my mother watching Dallas. I used to like Dynasty. They don't seem to make stuff like that any more yet everyone loved it. I caught one episode of 'Brothers & Sister' when it began to air on Channel4 but I didn't like it.

Such fond memories of the 80s, including TV! Dukes of Hazard, A-Team, Street Hawk, Wonder Woman, etc, not to mention all the cartoons I loved (Dungeons & Dragons, Ulysses). Sigh.

Misgrace said...

You should meet my friend Peter then. He is steeped in the 80s, buys every possible cd, re-edition, you name it.
It's the best time of his life, I think...

Fresco said...

It was all Sue Ellen for me in the 'Dallas' days. "I'm really not an alcoholic, JR" *does strange things with her mouth*

Misgrace said...

remember the old joke:

JR, I got something to tell you. I'm not drinking any more... of course, I'm not drinking any less...

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino