Oh she was gorgeous - Marlene Dietrich

10/12/2007

Vamp, vixen, vampire extraordinaire who managed to suck the life force out of the people who most loved her, as daughter Maria Riva and Svengali Josef von Sternberg will attest.

But still, how can we ever forget Shanghai Lily, the light catching her eyes and strawberry blonde hair, crowning her head like a halo, and that tremulous cigarette...

My first impression of Marlene Dietrich dates back all the way to 1983. Shanghai Express. I bought the autobiography (a cleaned up version of her life) one year later. And since then I have managed to pretty much see every one of her films. The biography by her daughter came as a bit of a surprise, as I discovered a cruel and calculating person. But many a goddess has toppled off her pedestal and Dietrich was no exception.

I leave you with the timeless quote from this movie: it took more than one man to change my name to Shanghai Lily.

2 messages:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Marlene!

Misgrace said...

That's right. I'd completely forgotten! Thanks for the reminder.

That's an interesting blog you have there!

Lula bites Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino